At Griswold, we want to make sure all of those who care for elderly loved ones get the thanks they deserve. So here are some meaningful quotes to remind you of your own strength and compassion:
- “One person caring about another represents life’s greatest value.” – Jim Rohn
- “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with.” – Brian Tracy
- “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We’re also fully aware that the incredibly rewarding experience of caregiving often becomes frustrating and lonely. Here are a few quotes for those times when caregiving becomes particularly straining, and when mental, physical and emotional exhaustion begin to take over:
- “Opposition is a natural part of life. Just as we develop our physical muscles through overcoming opposition such as lifting weights we develop our character muscles by overcoming challenges and adversity.” – Stephen R. Covey
- “Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune.” – William James
- “The greatest discovery of the 20th Century is that our attitude of mind determines our quality of life, not circumstances.” – William James
- “Out of clutter, find Simplicity. From discord, find Harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies Opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
Unfortunately, because of the straining demands and constant accessibility that caregiving requires, many caregivers succumb to mental or emotional fatigue. Stay tuned for our next post, which will focus on the ways to avoid depression as a caregiver, or subscribe to our Blog!
If you have a story you’d like to share, or a quote that really inspires you, please put it in the comments below.