Cleaning their home can be difficult for older adults due to inability to reach high places or difficulty moving for long periods of time. Cleaning help for seniors can vary in levels of service but in this post, we are going to specifically examine light housekeeping and what that entails.
What Is Light Housekeeping?
When looking for help with cleaning for the elderly, you’ll often see the term “light housekeeping” thrown around. But what is considered light housekeeping? It’s simple. Light housekeeping is just that: light. It’s cleaning up after oneself and providing peace of mind rather than heavy cleaning.
Let’s break it down even further.
Light housekeeping duties DO include:
- Clearing away dishes after meals
- Drawing baths and setting out towels
- Hang up towels and washcloths to dry or place in laundry
- Cleaning sink, bath tub and toilet after use
- Wiping down spills and sanitizing surfaces
- Changing bed linens
- Dusting off surfaces
- Tending to house plants
- Taking out trash
- Cleaning up clutter
- Sweeping and vacuuming floors
- Organizing closets and drawers
Light housekeeping duties DO NOT include:
- Moving furniture
- Washing windows
- Scrubbing carpets and floors
- Shoveling snow
- Mowing the grass
- Raking leaves
House Cleaning Tips For Seniors
If you do not necessarily have the resources to hire a service, there are still steps you can take. Housekeeping for seniors can be made simpler by doing the following:
- Use labeled bins in the refrigerator or shelves
- Do you have no idea where something goes? Label the bins so everything will always have a place.
- Make sure all labels are clear and legible
- Relocate canned goods and nonperishable items to stackable bins or containers on your countertop
- Reaching toward high cabinets can put unnecessary strain on the neck and back.
- Relocating these items to countertops will make the items easier to reach while also keeping your kitchen décor organized.
- Protect surfaces for easy cleanup
- Use plastic food wrap, such as Glad Press’n Seal, to line your refrigerator.
- This allows for easy and quick cleanup.
- Use your dishwasher for more than dishes
- You can also clean food items such as potatoes and salmon.
- Give air vents, bathroom accessories, window screens, air vents, and more the proper shine.
- Use a broom to clean hard-to-reach areas
- Use a cleaner in conjunction with your broom to clean high areas.
- Prevent neck and back pain.
Light Housekeeping Checklist
Light housekeeping services for seniors include help in various areas. Here are a few ways they can clean each room.
- Clear sink of dirty dishes by loading them in dishwasher or hand washing
- Dry and return dishes to rightful place
- Wipe and dry sinks and faucets clean
- Wipe down and sanitize appliances and counters
- Take out trash
- Lightly wash, rinse, and dry tubs and showers
- Scrub, disinfect, and wipe toilets
- Replace used towels
- Ensure the room stays at a comfortable temperature
- Remove and replace soiled linens
- Adjust curtains and shades
If you are looking to hire house cleaning help for seniors, Griswold Home Care offers Homemaker Services. In addition to light housekeeping, services include running errands, grocery shopping, meal planning and prep, travel accompaniment to appointments and trips, pet care, and more.