In this age of technology, performing basic tasks has never been easier. However, some older adults can experience anxiety when navigating this climate. Luckily, there are several ways to make technology more accessible and fun. From communicating with loved ones to playing games, we’ll take a look at the best apps for elderly individuals.
Communicating on smartphones set to their basic settings can be difficult for some seniors but there are several free apps to make messaging easier. Here are some options to help you on your journey to finding the best texting app for the elderly:
- Tapestry: Featuring a simplistic design along with photo albums, messaging, weather reports, and privacy features, Tapestry can be used on iPhones, Androids, or web browsers.
- Senior Safety Phone: This app easily allows you to create a simpler user interface with easier readability, medication reminders, and safety phone contacts on iPhone or Android.
- MessagEase Keyboard: Make any texting keyboard into a non-QWERTY keyboard, complete with ease, speed, and accuracy on your iPhone or Android.
- Basic apps: Facebook Messenger (which doesn’t require a Facebook account to create), WhatsApp, Viber, and Telegram are also fairly senior-friendly.
You can also take other steps to make a smartphone more senior-friendly. On iOS, go to Settings>General>Accessibility and on Android, go to Settings>Accessibility. This will give you options to increase the text size and/or increase the contrast. Furthermore, Androids also have a magnification option under the Accessibility option. Just tap the Magnification > Magnify with button. You can then hit a button in the lower-right corner to take a closer look at different areas on your screen.
Dating apps are open to all age groups over 18 but sometimes, seniors may want to narrow their search results to find a special someone within their age group. Downloading an elderly dating app can be a great choice for this and here are a few options:
- SeniorMatch: Open only to ages 45 and older, this app allows you to find dating, companionship, travel mates, and activity partners.
- SilverSingles: Featuring more than 50,000 new signups each week, SilverSingles brings diverse dating choices into the mix and even has a personality test to match you with potential love interests.
- OurTime: Designed for adults over age 50, this site allows you to find committed relationships, friends, and even penpals.
Finding an exercise app for the elderly involves finding a resource to meet a senior’s unique needs. Here are a few to get you started:
- flip50: Designed specifically for adults over 50, this app gives you a weekly routine for diet, exercise, and rest.
- 7 Minute Tai Chi: Tai chi is beneficial for adults with joint stiffness or for preventing falls and this app will allow you to perform quick exercises complete with audio prompts.
- SilverSneakers Go: Find nearby fitness classes, set an exercise routine, and track your progress with this app designed for seniors.
Brain training apps for the elderly can also include some fun games to exercise your mind. Here’s a look at some of the best game apps for elderly adults:
- Lumosity: The simple interface of this app makes it easy to play 30 entertaining games of mentally stimulating activity.
- Memorado: Featuring games designed to improve memory and track your progress through innovative monitoring techniques, Memorado helps one increase focus and memory capacity.
- Elevate: Designed to build communication and analytical skills, this personalized app features three daily challenges to improve overall brain function.
Keeping seniors safe often depends on knowing their whereabouts. Here are a few options to help you find the best elderly tracker app:
- AngelSense: Ideal for keeping track of adults with Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other memory problems, this app features location updates, late-departure warnings, and unlimited notifications. One handy feature allows one to talk to an elderly loved one directly without them needing to pick up their device.
- iTraq: This device works in conjunction with a handy app to detect falls and schedule reporting in any location where cellular service exists.
- GPS SmartSole: This is another device that works with an app. These GPS-enabled insoles easily fit into any adult shoes and let you monitor the wearer’s location through any smartphone, tablet, or web browser.