There’s something special about the fall and spending time with the grandkids. Of course, once they’re back to school, finding quality time can be difficult. That’s why you’ll want to make sure you’ve got some great autumn activities you can share when you do snag some grandkid time. This list will get you started in the right direction.
- Make leaf piles – With autumn weather comes fall leaves and falling leaves. While no one loves raking leaves and cleaning up the yard to prepare it for winter, making leaf piles and letting your grandkids jump in them can make the whole process a lot more fun.
You won’t want to forget your camera either as times like this can make great photo memories. Once the fun part is over, your grandkids can also help you bag all those leaves or compost them. It will make the task a lot more fun and it will go faster.
- Go to the pumpkin patch, go on a hayride, or go apple picking – If you’re wondering what else there is to do with your grandchildren in autumn, spending some time outdoors is always a great idea since, once winter hits, you may be stuck inside.
Kids of all ages enjoy going to the pumpkin patch or apple picking. Add a hayride to end a great day outdoors and you’ll create one of childhood’s fondest memories.
- Get baking – There’s no need to let all of those pumpkins or apples you picked together go to waste. Grab your extras and make some pumpkin bread or even an apple pie. Baking and sharing old recipes are always great autumn activities for adults and kids alike.
Not to mention, everyone loves to take home some treats like baked apples to pumpkin pie. Chances are, you have a family favorite recipe or two, and during autumn it’s a great time to pass them down to your grandkids.
- Decorate fall trees – When looking for outdoor autumn activities for children, you should consider a favorite pastime of kids or introduce them to some fun new ideas. One of those activities may be making tree faces. All it takes is some mud and things you find in your yard such as pinecones, acorns, or pine needles. The options are endless and you’ll have a fun, whimsical tree creature to enjoy throughout the fall season.
- Make slime recipes – Why is autumn the best season to have fun with the grandkids? It’s because it’s a great time to make slime! It’s a fun indoor activity and homemade slime is all the rage in grade schools these days, and it’s fun and easy to make.
All it takes some white school glue, borax, food coloring, and water. You can also add some sparkles to it or whatever tickles your fancy.
If you have been looking for some autumn related things to do with your grandkids, these five should get you off to a great start. You’ll have a great time, and will make memories that will last a lifetime — not only for yourself, but for your grandkids. So what are you waiting for? Get starting today and let the fun begin!
Do you have any more fun fall activity ideas to do with the grandkids? What do your grandkids enjoy doing when they come to visit? Let us know in the comments below!