With your loved one’s advancing years, there is no better time to make them feel special. Let’s review birthday party ideas for your elderly mother or father.
Elderly Birthday Party Tips
Whether you’re planning an epic birthday bash or a more intimate get together, we’ve got you covered with birthday party ideas for your elderly mother or father.
- Take the time of day into consideration. Does your loved one tire out easily? If so, schedule the party in the mid-afternoon rather than in the early morning or evening.
- Don’t make the party too short or too long. On their birthday, elderly people want to spend time with their loved ones. However, that does not mean they want to pull an all-nighter with their buds. Keep the party to two or three hours maximum.
- Consider what they enjoy. If your loved one likes fireworks and keg stands, then by all means, coordinate that. But when wishing happy birthday to an elderly person, it’s best to keep it simple. Do they like gardening? Consider decorating the venue in flowers. You can also coordinate a theme based on their favorite era.
- Don’t host the party at their place. Your loved one should not have to worry about cleaning up or making food. Consider having the party at a close family friend’s place or book a venue.
- Make sure the venue is wheelchair accessible. If you are planning to book a venue, make sure everyone can easily access the location if they are in a wheelchair or have mobility issues. Furthermore, if you plan to have the party outdoors, make sure it’s on even ground to prevent injury risks.
- Think about whether they would really enjoy a surprise party. When coming up with elderly birthday party ideas, it may be tempting to surprise them. But this can be problematic if the senior has heart issues. Consider what they can handle for an impromptu celebration.
- Be considerate of the food menu. In addition to presenting foods the guest of honor enjoys, make sure the menu consists of soft and diabetic-friendly options for elderly guests. A birthday cake for elderly people can also be made sugar free.
- Come up with the perfect guest list. Don’t just invite everyone because they’re available. Invite close friends and family to commemorate the occasion.
- Play some senior-friendly games. Games like bingo or trivia are always a safe option for elderly guests. Bring some prizes for a competitive element.
Birthday Wishes for Elderly People
Writing a good birthday message can be stressful depending on who you’re writing for. Happy birthday wishes for an elderly man can include messages relating to how grateful you are for everything he did to provide for the family. Meanwhile, birthday wishes for an elderly lady can thank her for always being a confidant or an inspiration. Here are a few examples of serious and funny birthday wishes for an elderly person.
- Thank you for always being there for me through thick and thin.
- Wisdom comes with age and I see that everyday with you.
- You become more and more fabulous with age and I am happy to have you in my life.
- The best is yet to come. Happy birthday!
- So much has changed over the years but my love for you has gotten even stronger. I hope today is a day you deserve.
- You’re another year close to retirement. Congrats!
- You look so young and chipper, it makes me feel good that I got the best genetics. Happy birthday!
- They say you get smarter with age. I guess you haven’t reached that age yet. Hope you will soon. Happy birthday!
- I know you’re never too old to party but please keep your pants on today.
- I hope you can blow out all the candles this year… because they cost more than the cake.