Running errands can be difficult for elderly people when it comes to setting time aside or performing physical tasks. A senior errand service or other related service can provide necessary assistance. Let’s answer some questions about errand runners, errand services, and how they can change an elderly person’s life for the better.
Why is it helpful to run errands for elderly?
For those with mobility or memory issues, errands can be time consuming, and sometimes dangerous, chores. Running errands for seniors can provide peace of mind for both the senior and the caregiver.
Can I hire someone to run errands for me?
Yes, there are services that specialize in helping seniors with errands. Check your local senior-care center for more information or pop in a quick Google search of “senior errand service” and the name of your town or state for referrals.
What type of service does an errand helper provide?
An errand helper can provide help with errands such as:
- Mailing and delivering packages
- Shopping trips
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging household repairs
- Technology help
- Vehicle maintenance and hygiene
- Transportation to and from appointments, social occasions, barbers/hairdressers, etc.
- Meal preparation
Furthermore, an errand runner can:
- Provide companionship
- Make sure medications get taken at the correct time and dosage
- Keep them in touch with family and friends through technology assistance
- Prevent strenuous physical exertion and minimize risk of injury
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene through trips to the dry cleaners, laundromat, or barber/hairdresser
What type of schedule should I expect when I need someone to run errands for me?
Most errand runners try to keep their work during normal business hours for full- or part-time work. However, some can run errands for the elderly after-hours at an additional charge. Check with the service for more information.
How else can I get help with chores and errands?
If you do not necessarily want to use a full errand service, there are also ways you can receive help with tasks on a case-by-case basis. Here are a few time-saving tools to run errands:
- Boxed: Get items at wholesale prices delivered to your home. Boxed lets you buy bulk items such as groceries, toiletries, and household essentials without the trip or membership fees of Costco, BJ’s and the like.
- Rover: If you’re ever away from your dog during a long day, Rover will connect you with a dog walker or dog sitter.
- Shyp: Just snap a photo of an item you want to ship, then select the packaging and a pickup time to get items shipped to friends and family.
- TaskRabbit: Get any odd job done the same day or on a monthly basis. Just log into the app, post your errand, get a price, and you’re done.
- Uber/Lyft: Get rides to appointments with the touch of a button.
- Zoom Errands: Just enter in your errand and location and Zoom Errands professionals will show up and take care of your needs. All employees for this service participate in background checks for added safety.
Are there any other places where I can find an errand runner for seniors?
Yes! Griswold Home Care provides homemaker services, which includes errands, chores and more.