Elderly Care in Newton MA
Most people are not aware that their homes are infested with mold until they start becoming ill for no apparent reason. Combine the effects of mold with an elderly adult who has a weak immune system and it can be very dangerous to the health of that adult. Older adults who are already coping with chronic illnesses may especially have their healthy compromised by a mold-filled home.
The symptoms that occur to seniors due to indoor mold may be easily overlooked and thought to be other medical conditions. However, if your loved one has been living in their home for decades, it is important to ask the doctor if their health problems could be a result of mold. If your older parent lives by themselves, consider a non-medical caregiver to offer companionship and assistance with the tasks of daily living, including light housekeeping that may help reduce the likelihood of mold forming in their home.
The symptoms vary from person to person, but can affect even the healthiest person. Watch for the following symptoms in order to determine if there could be a problem lurking in the walls of your loved one’s home.
- Tightness in the chest
- Upper respiratory infections
- Frequent nosebleeds
- Allergic reactions, including sinus and nasal congestion and inflammation in the throat
- Inflammation in the eyes and skin
These are some of the more common symptoms, but there are other red flags to watch for that can be more dangerous, even fatal to elderly adults. When vigorous toxins are dispersed in the air, it could be absorbed in the skin of everyone inside the home. This could lead to the development of cancer, renal and hepatic disorders, or severe pulmonary disorders.
If your loved one’s home does contain an extraordinary amount of mold, there is no need to panic. This problem is usually easily fixable. Here are just a few things that can be done to rid the elder’s home of hazardous toxins.
- Correct the problem areas. If you or your loved one know what areas contain the mold, you may need to pull carpet off of the area, install products that are resistant to mold, or repair the damaged area. Consult with an expert who can give you advice on how to rid the home of this problem.
- Immediately dry areas that are wet. After getting out of the shower or bath, water may be splashed all over the floor. By drying the floor immediately, the home is at less of a risk of developing mold. This is also true of a damp basement, carpet spill, or moisture in the windows. Keep all areas dry in order to prevent mold from spreading.
- Properly ventilate the home. There are several areas that can grow mold if not properly ventilated. Air conditioners and humidifiers that do not produce moisture can help prevent mold from forming in damp areas.
If you or an aging loved one are considering non-medical in-home care in Metrowest Boston, MA, call Griswold Home Care
and speak to one of our caring staff members today. Call (781) 559-0073