Quick and Healthy Pasta Alternative – Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pasta Blend with Homemade Tomato Sauce
Received from: Elisa Salomoni from Florida Southwest
- 1 small or medium spaghetti squash
- 3 zucchini (peeling the zucchini is optional but makes it look more like the original pasta dish)
- 1 medium white or red onion (peel onion and chop)
- 1 tsp of red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (chopped and pre-soaked) you can buy the tomatoes pre-soaked in olive oil or buy them dry and you can soak in water
- 1 cup of chopped large fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp of salt (optional for low sodium recipe)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 sp dried basil (or dried oregano)
- 1/2 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- Rinse and dry your spaghetti squash. Poke it several times with a knife or fork
Choose your squash cooking method:
- Bake about an hour in the oven at 375 F
- Microwave 10 to 12 minutes, then let stand for 5 minutes to finish steaming
- Boil for half an hour or so
- Slow Cooker/Crock Pot: Put it in with a cup of water and let it go on low all day
- When done, let cool and then cut open, remove seeds, and using a fork start running it through the pulp like a comb and the squash will start shredding into strands that look just like spaghetti!
Directions - Zucchini Spaghetti
- Use a Spirilizer to make zucchini spaghetti or you can make long, thin, ribbon noodles using a vegetable peeler or mandolin
- Pass the peeler or mandolin over the side of the zucchini lengthwise to produce long, flat, noodles. When you approach the seeds, turn the zucchini and begin slicing another side. The seeds will prevent the noodles from holding together, so you do not want to use the part with seeds in it
- If using a mandolin, make sure that you use one of the smallest blade settings in order to produce small, thin noodles.
- You can serve the zucchini raw or if you would prefer a softer version you can boil a pot of water and cook your spaghetti zucchini for 2 minutes
Directions - Make your Sauce
- Place the onion, red pepper, sundried tomatoes, tomatoes, salt. olive oil, basil, and oregano and garlic in the food processor or blender, and blend or pulse until a chunky paste forms. No need to cook!
Directions - Combining everything
- Place your zucchini and squash spaghetti in a bowl and pour the fresh tomato sauce on top, blend everything together and serve!
- For a warm meal, cook the tomato sauce in a hot pot until temperature desired (or microwave for a few seconds)
Hint: only blend the desired amount of spaghetti and sauce. By keeping the two separate they will keep about 3 days in the fridge. When you combine the sauce and spaghetti if not served right away the zucchini becomes runny.