When changes in mobility come into play, it is more difficult for seniors to keep their homes as clean as they would like. Loved ones can utilize home care assistance to help when needed and support seniors with a few tips and tricks to make things easier.
Having a clean home is more than just appearance. A clean home is necessary for the health and well-being of everyone living in the home. A clean home is also a safer home. To make the chore of cleaning less difficult for seniors, consider introducing the following tips to them.
Organization and Cleaning Work Together
The first step in cleaning is to make sure that seniors have everything they need and that it is organized and easily accessible. Thankfully, there are many products available to assist with cleaning. Discuss cleaning issues with seniors and evaluate what home care assistance they might need to assist them in feeling better about their homes.
Help seniors prioritize:
- Create a list of everything that needs to be done, and then arrange the items on the list from most important to least important.
- Pay attention to regularly utilized places, such as the kitchen and the bathroom.
- When discussing this issue with seniors, take time to understand what areas are most important to them and why.
Having a prioritized list and a schedule for cleaning makes it easier to clean. It also helps reduce the risk of injuries and falls by continuously decluttering items in the space.
- Find ergonomic tools to assist with cleaning: Use cleaning products that are not only light but also ergonomic, such as brooms and mops with adjustable handles. This helps decrease the strain placed on the body. Unwieldy tools also pose a safety issue for seniors.
- Encourage seniors to ask for help: Let seniors know it's okay to ask for help. A perfect scenario is to incorporate home care assistance, as professionals can assist seniors with cleaning, cooking, meal planning, and more.
Why Is Cleaning Important?
A clean home helps seniors stop the transmission of illness and infection, which is especially important since aging often causes a decrease in the immunity system. Also, dust and allergens, known to aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma and allergies, make it absolutely necessary to clean consistently.
As mentioned above, cluttered spaces might raise fall risks. As some seniors might struggle with mobility and imbalance, the fewer the fall risks, the better. Also, clean environments tend to raise moods and energy levels. Being able to assist in the cleaning process also helps seniors feel like they are contributing, which is key to decreasing depression.
Ensuring that the environment in which seniors live is kept clean is critical to their successful aging in place. Loved ones can employ home care assistance for cleaning and so much more. Having home care helps seniors with socialization, transportation, and cooking. They also assist seniors with medication management and provide peace of mind to loved ones concerned about seniors' well-being.
If you or an aging loved one are considering non-medical in-home care in Scarsdale and Yonkers, NY, call Griswold Home Care
and speak to one of our caring staff members today. Call (914) 768-9065