Open Accessibility Menu

Home Health Vs. Home Care

My mom needs assistance to remain independent at home. What’s available and how much does it cost?

There are two types of services: Home Health and Home Care. One is covered by insurance, while the other is typically not.

Home health care involves the delivery of some type of skilled care. These “skilled” services are tied to specific medical diagnosis associated with health care insurance reimbursable procedures. They are provided by Registered Nurses, LPNs, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, etc. Typically these are authorized after a hospital and/or rehab stay; however, your health insurance provider (Medicare, etc.) may pay for in home nurse visits and/or physical therapy to help you recuperate from an injury after a fall or to provide strengthening exercises/balancing programs to proactively prevent one, even if you haven’t been admitted to the hospital.

Home care services usually fall into three categories: homemaking, companionship, and personal care. The latter includes assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) like bathing, toileting, eating, dressing, etc. These services are usually provided by a Certified Nursing Assistant or Home Health Aide. Medical insurance typically doesn’t pay for these services.

If you or an aging loved one are considering non-medical in-home care in Tampa, FL, call Griswold Home Care and speak to one of our caring staff members today. Call (813) 343-2228